Tuesday, December 2, 2008

St. Andrew's High School

Yesterday was the feast of St. Andrew - and since I graduated from St. Andrew's High School in Pasadena, California I couldn't let that one go by without giving a shout out to my fellow "Atoms" - and yes that was our mascot....no cougars, wolfs or bears....just your basic molecular structure....did we rock or what?

This is a photo of the church which is across the street from the school. Stunning! And the inside is even better!

So what does this have to do with Advent you ask? Well on my "Slow down it's Advent" calendar it says "St. Andrew dropped his nets and followed Jesus. What do you need to let go of in order to follow?"

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Seeing the outside of the church doesn't do it justice. The inside is breathtaking and has been used for many many movies. Since my son attends there I stop by on my break and go inside and either say prayers or just sit in silence. The school has gone through many struggles during the years - but it's still standing and it's a great place - very small and family oriented.

Oh - and the school mascot is the tigers.

An atom ... o.k... so '70's ....

ROBERTA said...

well the mascot may be the Tigers for the elementary school now but even in the 60's/70's an Atom was pretty lame!

Anonymous said...

Love that Italian Renaissance tower! and the very Italian looking Romanesque church! I can just imagine that the inside is gorgeous.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I saw that calendar entry. But after sixty-nine years, the Something-to-let-go-of well, tends to get a little dry.

blessings on your holidays. There's a school in Hanford WA with a mushroom cloud for an icon. And some crazy woman (saw it in a knitting mag) who knits things like DNA. You're not alone in your molecular structure.

blessings

Anonymous said...

Atoms??????? I never knew that!

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

Oh, that's a good question. What do I need to drop? I'll have to think about this.

Jan said...

Hey, I have that Advent poster/calendar, too. I love its simplicity and profound questions. So glad you're posting them.

Gannet Girl said...

Gorgeous bell tower.