Monday, January 12, 2009

Update

I'm back! To those who stop by here on a regular basis I want to offer my deep gratitude for all the kind words and wonderful prayers you've given both me and my family this past week. As of this moment, my father is a permanent resident of the Huntington Memorial Hospital's ICU unit. This was not what he wanted but as we all know, you don't always get what you want in this life. One thing I've learned is that just because your father has a DNR order in his will does not mean that your mother will honor it. My sisters and I said our good-byes - it was a sad time but rich with grace and holiness. We've done all we can. Now it's up to my mother.

It's good to be home - it's even better that I have the ability to make that choice for myself. May my dad's determination to enter the doorway to the brilliant light of eternal life overcome my mother's fear of being left alone. Amen

9 comments:

Evelyn said...

Oh, Roberta, what a difficult situation. I'm so sorry that your mother is not ready to let go. I'll be praying for peace in her heart and mind, and of course, for your father as well.

Anonymous said...

Roberta, I'm so glad you're home. I echo your prayer - our Father is hearing it from me too. In addition, he's hearing my prayer that your mother be able to let go. For you, this is a wound that has to hurt. May you know quickly and with assurance that wonderful peace only God can give us. Amen.
From one who knows what it feels like to hurt, to find that peace, and who loves you - Brad

Anonymous said...

You were on my mind and in my heart all this week in a special way. Even as I have watched it over and over again, I still stand in amazement at how God stretches us Your loving prayer for your father and for your mother binds reality to compassion. Blessings, friend. d

Anonymous said...

Roberta,



God bless you and your family. You are truly an ever present inspiration in my daily walk of life and I so appreciate all that you do.



Sue

Jayne said...

((((Roberta)))) It's so wonderful that you are at peace with your goodbye to him. I pray that your mom can find the peace to let him go. You and your family remain in my thoughts and prayers. XOXO

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

Saying a prayer for you and both your parents.

Jaliya said...

Roberta ... Praying for a gentle release for your father into his death ... and a gentle release for your mother, of her husband ... It is, even for those of us who can say "goodbye" with some sense of resolution and acceptance, an agony as well. It's so much more painful for people who can't bear the leavetaking ... In my family, when my mother died, that was my father and younger brother. It was so heartbreaking ... and I think their grief has been complicated and compounded in part because of that ...

So I will pray for gentle releasing ... for all of you xo

Ellie Finlay said...

I'm so glad to get some news. Thank you for sharing this update with us.

Prayers for you all - you, your mother, your father. May each one of you have that sense of God's presence that is needed right now.

Anonymous said...

Amen and amen. As a chaplain in long-term care, I see this scene get played out time and time again. I am a big supporter of advanced care planning and directives but as you discover when the family/or a family member objects the medical staff and patient’s wishes all get pushed aside. May God’s timing override whatever other death-delaying hurdles stand in the way. The light is what many who return tell me stories about!

Hugs and warm wishes for you in this time of sadness and good-byes,
Heather