Friday, January 9, 2009

Father

I woke up this morning and had no clue as to where I was. I was frightened and then the events of yesterday slammed into my memory bank. I'm at my sister's house in california - in her son's room. Our father is in ICU at Huntington Memorial in Pasadena. Ah yes it's all coming back to me now.

Just yesterday I was sitting with members of the Church of the Living Room (small group that meets in my home) when the phone rang in the middle of Lectio Divina - it was THAT call - you know the one - GET HERE NOW. The next hour was a complete blur as Kim, Karen, Andrea & Bethany made flight arrangments, picked up a needed prescription & laptop and helped me pack. Next thing I knew I was driving down 101 with my husband for the 2 hour trek to the airport. I didn't even know what airline I was flying out on until I looked at the paperwork someone had placed in my purse. Do I have the greatest friends and family or what?

And now I'm here - but from the look of my father - I'd say he's here in body only - a machine is doing his breathing - this will be a difficult day. May my father be allowed to return to his Heavenly Father today. Amen

12 comments:

Unknown said...

Almighty and Everlasting God, preserver of souls, who dost correct those whom Thou dost love, and for their betterment dost tenderly chastise those whom Thou dost receive, we call upon Thee, O Lord, to grant Thy healing, that the soul of Thy servant, at the hour of its departure from the body, may by the hands of Thy holy Angels be presented without spot unto Thee. Amen.

Anonymous said...

You are in my prayers. I received such a phone call. Five years ago last August 31st. I do remember "the vortex-like feeling" of especially the first few hours and then the first day or two after the phone call. God is so good to give us the help we need then. When I got the call, Paul's girlfriend at the time was there and she wrote out a packing list for me and helped me focus for my trip, while Fred & Paul took care of everything else.

May your prayer be granted. Love, Jane

Anonymous said...

Amen! - I've seen my father in that state, and my prayers are with you.

Hugs,
Sigrid

Gannet Girl said...

I am so glad that you do indeed have such wonderful friends and family to help and care for you. Praying with you this night.

Evelyn said...

You, your father, and your family, are in my prayers, Roberta.

Ellie Finlay said...

Oh, Roberta. I'm so sorry.

Prayers, of course. For you. For your father. For everyone concerned.

Love to you.

Jayne said...

Oh (((((Roberta))))). I a so sorry to hear this. I hope that you all are able to make the best decision for him, and that his suffering is minimal. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family...

Erin said...

I got this call this summer while driving home from holidays. I know that numb feeling as your friends kick in and make all the arrangements for you so that you can get there in one piece. One of the blessings that came out that horrible time was the deep knowledge of what it is to be a part of a community.

I will pray for you in this really hard time. May you find strength as your dad finds his rest.

Unknown said...

prayers ascending...

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

Oh, I'm sorry I'm so late to this. But I'll pray for you and your father now.

Jan said...

Wishing you and your family peace, especially your father. Prayers.

Anonymous said...

Roberta--Blessings & deep blessings to you and your family. May you be graced with all the sustenance you need for these days, these moments. Peace to you.