Friday, August 15, 2008

A Noisy World

"A Noisy World" from the following website:
http://www.objectsandpixels.com/indy/blog/category/acrylic

If only for once
It would be really quiet.
If all this haphazard and imprecise noise
Would be quieted
And all that laughter of my neighbors
And above all if the noise that my own
thoughts and feelings make
Would not hinder me from being really attentive
Then I could, in a thousand-fold thought
Think you.
I could think you to your very edge
I could think myself to your very edge
And I could hold you at least as long as a smile
And then I could give you as a gfit to all that lives,
in thanksgiving.

Rilke

as translated by D. Steindl-Rast, OSB
"Presence", an International Journal of Spiritual Direction,
Vol. 14, No. 3, Sept. 2008 p. 25

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

There was a calligraphed quote on the wall of the art building at the Fair yesterday that said something similar . . something like, "take time to be quiet because God whispers and the world is very noisy." I loved it. And this one is breathtaking as well.