Tuesday, March 24, 2009

prayer is living

"Prayer leads you to see new paths and to hear new melodies in the air. Prayer is the breath of your life which gives you freedom to go and stay where you wish and to find the many signs which point out the way to a new land. Praying is not simply some necessary compartment in the daily schedule of a Christian or a source of support in time of need, nor is it restricted to Sunday morning, or as a frame to surround mealtimes. Praying is living."

Henri Nouwen, "With Open Hands", p. 157

photo by my friend, Jane Manzer

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Prayer is a mystery to me.

blessings

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

"to find the many signs which point out the way to a new land"

I especially liked that.

Unknown said...

I have come to greatly appreciate Henri Nouwen, Roberta. My heart resounds with almost everything I've read of his. I'm not surprised you would quote him. Bless you!

Jan said...

Thank you.

Jan said...

And guess what--it's now on my blog. I couldn't get this out of my mind! Thanks, Roberta.

Evelyn said...

What a wise man Henri Nouwen was!
Thank you for the reminder, Roberta! I've been away from blogworld for a while..... and your blog is one that I have sorely missed!

Unknown said...

I know know what you mean—now!