Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Dust to Dust

Last night we had a terrific Mardi Gras celebration at church as evidenced by the photo below of grandchildren David and Lydia. Dixieland jazz, face painting, mask decorating & a delicious jambalaya were followed by the putting away of the Allelulia banner until the Easter Vigil and our gathering on the labyrinth to watch the burning of last Palm Sunday's ashes in silence.

Today is Ash Wednesday, the first day of Lent. I've been looking forward to this 40 day season for with the recent death of my father, I'm feeling "at home" with the concept of being in the desert with Jesus and the images of sackcloth and ashes. Does that sound weird? It's as though this is an "ok" time to be grieving.

And as each person stepped forward this morning to receive the sign of the ashes on their foreheads, Elizabeth+ repeated the words "Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return." I was sitting in the last pew and after hearing her repeat this phrase close to 40 times, I began to let it permeate my being and slowly started letting my defenses down. I am starting an another inward journey towards repentance. What will that look like? I have no idea. But because I am already so weary I think I might be less inclined to protect myself from whatever it is that God wants me to see.

And so the season of Lent begins. Here is a photo I took this morning of the back of Elizabeth's+ Lenten chasuble (an outer vestment resembling a poncho) as she greeted those leaving the service. It's batiky (sp?) and burlapy (sp?).....which make it very sackclothy (?) and Lenty (?)....

2 comments:

Evelyn said...

Thank you for sharing so beautifully, Roberta. May your Lenten journey be truly blessed.

Anonymous said...

Mourn in peace, lovely lady.

blessings