Thursday, March 8, 2012

revision as spiritual practice


“If a teacher told me to revise,
I thought that meant my writing was a broken-down car
that needed to go to the repair shop. I felt insulted.
I didn't realize the teacher was saying,
'Make it shine. It's worth it.'
Now I see revision as a beautiful word of hope.
It's a new vision of something.
It means you don't have to be perfect the first time.
What a relief!” Naomi Shihab Nye, writer

Today’s quote is from Wisdom Commons – a wonderful source.
What drew me to this photo (which is by Chris Goldberg on flickr)
is that it is of a classic car on the side of the road in Cuba.
This is a '58 Buick worth repairing –
and a good reminder that the creative process is worth the work that it elicits from us. 
For a first/second/third draft of a poem, story, or sermon is a jewel that is just waiting to be mined.
Revision is a great spiritual practice!

No comments: