Wednesday, February 23, 2011

if roads could talk...

"How long the road is.
But, for all the time
the journey has already taken, how you have needed every second of it in order to learn what
the road passes by."
-Dag Hammarskjold, Markings

photo of Bridge of Tears
Donegal, Ireland from IrelandBelfast.com

In the nineteenth century, before the railway was built, local people emigrating to America, Britain and Australia crossed this bridge on their way to the port of Derry, which was the main departure point for Donegal emigrants. The emigrant was accompanied by family and friends as far as this point, but crossed to the opposite side alone. (I wonder why?) This walk had all the finality of a funeral, as most of the emigrants never returned.

1 comment:

Blue Eyed Ennis said...

Markings is one of my favourite books and Dag Hammarskjold one of the people that I really admired and this book influenced me a great deal in my teens.
I was really moved by this image and your description.
My dad was from Donegal but in my families case we had walked this road in the opposite direction- my paternal great grandfather was Scottish and had emigrated to Ireland in the 19th century .
Thanks Roberta. (I've gone all nostalgic and mushy now)
Blessings