Monday, January 4, 2010

11th Day of Christmas


It's the 11th day of Christmas and frankly I'm beginning to feel like this dead christmas tree. Are we just so over this whole Christmas season or what? I arrived at work at just before noon today and I swear it was beginning to get dark. Really.

I am very aware of the darkness this winter here in the Northwest. And frankly, if "11 pipers piping" came dancing through my door at this very moment I'd probably shoot them. All of them.

Fortunately I don't have to depend on my emotional state for joy. Emotions pass by like clouds. I know that I will feel the warmth of the sun again. (Of course, that might take quite awhile.) So I leave you with my last Christmas focused quote of this season. It's a great one by Thomas Merton.

"Into this world, this demented inn, in which there is absolutely no room for him at all, Christ has come uninvited. But because he cannot be at home in it, because he is out of place in it, and yet he must be in it, his place is with those others who do not belong, who are rejected by power, because they are regarded as weak, those who are discredited, who are denied the status of persons, tortured, exterminated. With those for whom there is no room, Christ is present in this world. " Thomas Merton

photo from here

1 comment:

Blue Eyed Ennis said...

That is a great quote from Merton Roberta and like you I am feeling mightily jaded after the Christmas and New Year jaunts.
Also I have no idea what to post or blog about for the New Year so I am only putting odd bits on until the inspirational muse grabs hold of me- if ever it cares to visit again.
Hope you winter is mild and take care
Phil ( Blue Eyed Ennis Blog)