Friday, July 3, 2009

For Jill

Please pray for my friend Jill, who received a cancer diagnosis today.
I cannot imagine what she is feeling tonight. Maybe it's best described
by a photo like this one - in which one's chair has been suddenly
and unexpectedly moved away from the rest.

Lord, we feel limited and inadequate in the face of suffering.
We ask that you would shelter your daughter Jill under the shadow of Your wings
and create within her this night a sacred space -
a place where she would know how much she is loved by You
and all who lift her up in the saying of this prayer. Amen
.
photo from here

to read J. O'Donohue's magnificent poem "For a Friend on the Arrival of Illness" click here - make sure you scroll to the bottom of the page to find it.

8 comments:

Diane M. Roth said...

praying for Jill.

Cheryl said...

We fly out this morning to see our daughter who is pregnant. I will carry Jill in my heart as I go.

Love, Cheryl

Sandy said...

I'll put Jill on the prayer list my left coast writer buddies. They are instruments of miracles quite frequently. Please let her know she is loved and supported by a band of crazies she's never heard of.

The above crazies are coming to PT for a week in October. You GOTTA meet them! They're your kind of people.

blessings

paula said...

roberta....this is probably one of the most beautiful and profound pieces I have ever read. I dont know when I would have been able to have read this during my own hour of need.....but wish I had had it to read. your picture is so accurate it is scary.....isolated and alone and cold,looking out over nothing. However, being the friend you are..she wont feel that for long...pray I will for prayer is one of the few possesion we have on this journey.....xoxoxopaula

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

Saying a prayer for Jill.

Evelyn said...

Have you ever heard of "praying in color"? (described in a book by Sybil MacBeth).
I've been doing a bit of that lately, adding names to my drawing, and praying for them as I draw, and then again as I look at the page. Jill's name will be added, and prayers lifted up for her.

ROBERTA said...

yes evelyn, i have the book - praying in color - a delightful way to hold someone up....thank you so much for adding Jill to your own drawing. i think she will enjoy knowing that so many people are praying for her.

we are all connected, are we not?

Jayne said...

What a poignant photo Roberta. My thoughts and prayers ascend for Jill...