Saturday, August 20, 2011

Bernard and the Breast Milk

 
Tis the feast day of St. Bernard of Clairvaux- a well known 12th century French abbot.
Bernard was known for many things - his strong views on Mary, his building of 163 monasteries, and his development of the Second Crusade.
But you just can't stop looking at that picture can you?
Yep, that's Mary squirting breast milk into Bernard's infected eye,
which miraculously cured it. 
And to this day mums still use breast milk to combat "pink eye"
though I doubt they use this same technique. 
You gotta hand it to Mary though - great aim! 
Here are a couple of quotes to take your mind off the picture...really, stop looking at it!
 
"We find rest in those we love, and we provide a resting place for those who love us.
 and my favorite -
 "Qui me amat, amat et canem meam."
 Who loves me, loves my dog!

1 comment:

Brad said...

Roberta,
I didn't see "the point" of the picture at first - way cool! I get the message that the All Holy One (as the Greeks call her) is nursing Her son but also mothering Bernard, but at a distance. Reenact that in a school show and see what happens!

Apparently the antibacterial nature of breast milk really is/was good for conjunctivitis and lots of other stuff. And at least one site says "go ahead and squirt from the source."

And your Latin translation is right on - it is NOT "Love me, love my dog." One of my favorites was created by a professor of mine; it won him a hundred bucks in a contest to find a Latin motto for the Madison Avenue Rod, Gun, and Bloody Mary. In English it's "keep your powder, your trout flies, and your martinis dry." Latin: semper siccandae sunt pulvis, potio, et pelleculatio.