Thursday, July 9, 2009

Twilight!

My sister Roma and her children have been visiting since Wednesday. Highlights of our time together included shopping in Port Townsend, and walking on the Labyrinth at St. Paul's. Today we picked strawberries and raspberries and the kids went fishing with their uncle. But the ultimate highlight for Nicolette, who is 14, was the first afternoon we spent in Forks, doing the whole "Twilight" thing, returning to Port Angeles in the evening to eat at Bella Italia, where Edward and Bella had their first date. I was amazed at the number of people in both Forks and Port Angeles who were doing the exact same thing that we were!

We visited the high school, the sheriff's department, the hospital to see Dr. Cullen's parking space and the house where Bella Swan lived. I heard that Forks averages about 90 Twilight Tourists per day but i think i counted that many just in the Dazzled by Twilight store. This is the best thing to happen to Forks in years.

What is it about this series of books that is bringing people here from around the world?

I love this photo that Nicolette took from the car window as we left Forks. It looks very Twilighty to me...

5 comments:

Sandy said...

These books aren't even very well written. But they certainly resonate with kids.

Erin said...

Not just with kids. I know lots of adult women who are hooked on them. Don't understand it myself.

Jane said...

Great photo!! Sounds like fun of the best kind with family . . .

Unknown said...

We had an AMAZING time in Forks with my sister and we'll never forget eating at "The Inn Place" as well as visiting Bella's House, the Sheriff's Dept., Forks Hospital, and of course, Forks High School! The drive to and from was just beautiful and the picture of the trees is how I'll forever remember Forks. I was able to truly live in the moment on that drive and experience. It's a summer trip that we'll remember forever, all because of one little book!

Jaliya said...

The photo is exquisite ...

About the *Twilight* series, I don't get it either. I did watch the movie with my husband ... and from that, I can see the intrigue ... I recall a brief fling with all things Dracula when I was in Grade 8 ... ;-)