Friday, January 14, 2011

Our journey into Egypt


One of the main hallmarks of Ignatian spirituality is imaginative prayer - the placing of yourself inside the telling of a biblical story. In the poem below, Antoinette Voute Roeder places herself in the second chaper of Mathew, verses 13 and 14.  Here is yet another Epiphany moment - a time for Mary and Joseph to enter unknown territory with this child who is already making their impossible life even more complicated. From the art above we can see that this must have been a harrowing journey.

I recently received news that the path I thought I was on is no longer the path that I am on.  This has led to deep lament, anger and sadness - i.e. the process of grieving.  And with it came a huge desire to chuck God in the bin.  Of course that desire must have passed because here I am once again talking about my desire for God.  Sigh...So like the Holy Family, I'm packing my knapsack and heading towards all the unknowns that Egypt may hold, choosing to focus not on what might have been but on what is and is to come.


journey (in the way of Ignatius)

"We watch them until they are mere specks
on a wide and vacant desert:
woman huddled in her shawl
jouncing on the donkey's back,
man beside her, walking tall,
into Egypt.

I say to you, let us go too.
Let us start upon this journey
into unknown lands and future
where we have no friends, no home,
no kin waiting, no work to perform.

At our feet I see two backpacks,
royal blue, festooned with straps
of leather and with shiny buckles
Bulging with their contents,
they are equal size and weight,
heavy with the same provisions.

As I hand one on to you
and look into your eyes
I know you pack no miracles.
I can expect no angel bands
or acts of God along the way:
just all things needed for the journey
and your priceless company
until we reach that other country,
an extraordinary banquet,
that long promised feast.

Mathew 2: 13 & 14
Ignatian prayer:  St. Ignatius of Loyola left us a prayer practice which involves
the use of one's imagination with scripture passages."

This passage is from Antoinette Voute Roeder's Weaving the Wind, p. 101,102
If you would like to learn more about Ignatian Spirituality please click here.
If you are interested in receiving spiritual direction drop me a line at

artwork by James J. Tissot taken from here

4 comments:

Victoria said...

There is a beautiful mission in St Ignatius in Montana below Flathead lake, NW Montana.

One of my favorite spots on EARTH! I spent every summer of my life in the Flathead Valley and part of my heart and soul are there...hence I return every summer.

The Pen of The Wayfarer said...

i just found your blog, as i, myself am a spiritual director. this touched me where i am at, touched me deeply, especially the poem, thank you!

Ellie Finlay said...

"I recently received news that the path I thought I was on is no longer the path that I am on."

I'm so sorry, Roberta.

Of course, I'm quite late to this conversation. But it may still feel fresh.

However you are experiencing this right now, may you be sustained.

Ellie Finlay said...

"I recently received news that the path I thought I was on is no longer the path that I am on."

I'm so sorry, Roberta.

Of course, I'm quite late to this conversation. But it may still feel fresh.

However you are experiencing this right now, may you be sustained.