Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Call?

"Each person enters the world called." - James Hillman

Really? I watched Jenna Wolfe's segment on her return to her native Haiti on the Today Show this morning. In the middle of her piece she approached a little girl whose mother had died in the earthquake. It seems that no adult woman can comfort this child as she only wants her mother.

You know how some things affect you more than others? That little girl has haunted me all day. What is she called to? What am I called to? What are any of us called to? Tonight I'm just not sure if I really know.

Lord, comfort your babies from the pain of this tragedy. Protect these helpless ones from those who would take advantage: the abusers, the sex traffickers, and the kidnappers. Bring every one of these confused and frightened children into loving arms who will care for them. Provide a way for these babies to experience your peace through the love of your saints on the ground....and yes Lord, may we all act upon our call to love our neighbors in this time of overwhelming need. Amen.
no picture today - we're all on visual overload.

3 comments:

Jayne said...

It's been gut wrenching to see the images for sure... all we CAN do sometimes is just pray...

Donna said...

I have often wondered to what God calls me. So many times I feel so very inadequate, certain that I am not doing His will. And then again, I will think, "but you want to do something spectacular so that you will be proud of yourself, maybe God just wants you to spread love like Spring seed."

I really do not know what I am called to, and perhaps He wants it that way so that my pride won't interfere, but this I do know: God called me as an 8-year old child, loved me and cared for me every moment, and it has made all the difference.

I pray for the same for children everywhere, especially those who have no one to love them.

Paula said...

A voice is heard in Rama, mourning and great weeping. Rachel weeping for her children because they were no more. This is what has come to my mind more than once in all of this chaos....and so it is the same for the child, she knows 'lost'. Thank you from the deepest part of me for your lovely prayer. From such devastation equally much good must come. I read recently that every seed destroys its shell so it may grow. In no way am I reducing the degree of our disaster in this part of our home. Just looking each day for more good to come. If like James Hillman states, it would be the response to that calling, how we hear it. So ..... then if they were called and we also....how do we hear and respond.....


Again Roberta your prayer will be repeated by me.....perhaps cranking up the volume...
xoxoxoxoxpaula